Bullfrog 2 Update

I can’t believe it’s been a month since my last Bullfrog 2 post. Unfortunately, development has gone a bit slower than originally anticipated due to work on other projects.


Over the past few days I’ve been moving code from the old Bullfrog game engine to a new Xcode 3 project for full-bore development to begin on Leopard.

Yes, we’ve made the decision to make Bullfrog 2 a Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) only product. There are just too many things in Leopard that we really want to use.


As I mentioned in the last update, I’ve been learning OpenGL and working towards converting the Bullfrog engine from the old Cocoa drawing code. Today, I checked in my changes that have officially started us down the OpenGL path.

Our green hero is now fully hardware accelerated and I have resolved my earlier transparency issues.


The next step is heavy refactoring of the game engine. Bullfrog was my first Cocoa / Objective-C project and the structure of the code definitely reflects that.

Now that I have significantly more experience in how a Cocoa-based project should be structured, we’ll spend a couple of weeks moving code around and getting our foundation in order.

This will allow for multiple developers to work inside the project as well as make the code generally more maintainable.

Just the Beginning

We’re still very much in the preliminary development stages with much design work still to be done. But, it’s a good feeling to move forward on this project.



, , ,




2 responses to “Bullfrog 2 Update”

  1. Dan Avatar

    That sounds pretty cool!

    I’ve been thinking of doing the same sort of refactoring with Otis, as that was my first Obj-C/Cocoa project too.

  2. Jon Trainer Avatar

    Thanks Dan. It’s been fun to dive into OpenGL and to get a chance to remake Bullfrog now that I know what I’m doing.